After Endor: A History of The Post Imperial Period

Go down

After Endor: A History of The Post Imperial Period Empty After Endor: A History of The Post Imperial Period

Post by TalesofNine Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 pm

For a history there are few topics more daunting then that of the so called Skywalker era,

It is one of the bloodiest periods in history that spans a vast period of nearly one hundred years with vast ramifications that still affect the galaxy too this day,

It is a historical period mired in rumor and lore because of the vast amounts of information lost to war, propaganda, misinformation and mythology this leaves a rather scrambled legacy that time and again historians have attempted to unravel,

Many of my counterparts struggle with simply the early phases of the era such as the Clone Wars, the rise of the Galactic Empire and the early phases of the Galactic Civil War,

Indeed I too will be discussing the Galactic Civil War but this is not yet another account of the legendary Battle of Yavin, this is a dive into one of the most conflicted and argued over periods of galactic history,

This is the tale of the Post Endor period, I will make no claim to being the definitive teller of the Post Endor period but my family has a history of being drawn to this period. My grandfather dedicated thirty years of his life to writing Legacy of the Stars. And my mother spent countless restless nice writing the Awakening History a revision based off her research.

As such this is a collection of my personal research collected from interviews, searches, readings and many expeditions to the far reaches of the galaxy.  I hope that my research if not definitive will at least help inspire others to go out and search for the truth.

- Mayyan Viisraa, Historian at the Galactic Scholars Academy, Coruscant.

After Endor is a creative writing project reimagining the Post Endor period of Star Wars history. I'll spare a long speech on my feelings on the EU and Canon takes but needless to say I haven't fully been happy with decisions made but I do like a lot of the ideas that have been thrown out there. So rather then rant and rave I'm channeling that energy creatively into a fanfiction/worldbuilding hybrid project to craft a story from the perspective of a historian in a distant era of Star Wars.

If you enjoy feel free to comment, leave suggestions and even contribute if you would like!

Last edited by TalesofNine on Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

TalesofNine
Admin

https://endless-frontier.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

After Endor: A History of The Post Imperial Period Empty Re: After Endor: A History of The Post Imperial Period

Post by TalesofNine Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:22 am

The Death of An Emperor
After Endor: A History of The Post Imperial Period Latest?cb=20200904052436
"Attention Citizens of the galaxy, the dreaded tyrant Emperor Palpatine of the First Galactic Empire... Is dead."
- Mon Mothma announcing the death of Emperor Palpatine in orbit of Endor.

There is no adult or child in the galaxy who does not know about the Battle of Endor. The key flashpoint in galactic history that would mark the next one hundred years of galactic politics with consequences. When the great heroes and villains of the galaxy came together in a whirlwind of battle and the seemingly invincible Galactic Empire which had been dead set on getting revenge for the Battle of Yavin were faced with their greatest blow. This era has been long studied but it is important to note this critical moment, the amount of exhaustive study only shows how important Endor stands as a moment in history.

Discussing the Battle of Endor often brings up debate and discussion such as arguments over the importance of great man history. It is difficult not to ignore that many famous figures in galactic history Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, General Leia Organa and her future husband Han Solo, General Lando Calrissian, Admiral Gial Ackbar and even the near mythical Luke Skywalker all played critical roles in the battle. But there are those who find it frustrating if not even insulting to focus on these figures alone when countless hundreds of thousands fought and died in orbit and on the surface of Endor. And the ever raging debate of whether Endor or Yavin had the greater impact of the galaxy.

But for this study we will be skipping the details of the battle itself. Military history is important but there are far more impactful and first person accounts. Instead we must look toward what I personally consider to be the most important moment of the battle.

Its End.

By the time Rebel strike team's attack into the heart of the incomplete Death Star II led to its desruction, Emperor Palpatine had already been dead. Whether slain in battle with Luke Skywalker, or betrayed by his dreaded lieutenant Darth Vader, the Emperor had died and the explosion of the Death Star confirmed the truth to all present. For most this is where the story of the Endor ends, there is a summarized version of what comes next but to simply summarize this period does a disservice to those who fought and died.

Allow me to paint an image of the scenario. You have the thousands of Imperial ships with crew and trooper elements numbering in the population fighting a Rebel fleet nearly half its size, Legions of Imperial Stormtroopers scattered among the surface after uprisings by the Indigenous Ewoks supported by waves of Rebel reinforcements pouring down to the surface from tactical transports.

Even a basic level of military analysis would show such scenarios becoming a military slog. Throughout the Clone Wars similar battles became month long duels for supremacy between mighty battle fleets and vast armies. But mercifully for the indigenous Ewoks, their home was spared being destroyed by two galactic armies.

The Imperials fought, fiercely but their morale was shattered by the loss of the Death Star II. Much like Yavin the Empire had again failed but this time there was millions of survivors to witness the failure. Stormtroopers, Naval crewman, Officers and surviving Admirals watched as one by one the most powerful men and women in the Empire died in a brilliant flash of light. The fighting did not end with the destruction of the Death Star but it was confused and panicked. After several hours of skirmashes, Rebel Command agreed to offer ceasefire to the Imperials. Though there was no response initially the Imperials silently accepted, a coordinated retreat was formed and the Imperial fleet once it collected the survivors off Endor retreated into Imperial space.

Some would criticize the Rebels actions for not pressing their advantage some argue that allowing so many ships and troops to escape was what led to the later post Endor conflicts. But the conditions of the Rebellion cannot be ignored. The largest fleet ever assembled in the history of the Rebellion which had split between two targets was involved in combat operations on a scale the Rebellion had never before fought. While coordinated military efforts were nothing new this was a scale of battle not seen since the Clone Wars, entirely foreign to the guerrilla doctrine of the Rebel fleet. And the Endor fleet had been decimated by the Imperial ambush and the Death Star II's anti-ship superlaser.

But the decision to let the Imperials run was not just pragmatism but humanitarian. Several forest fires had started from combat on Endor along with the threat of shatter remnants from the Death Star II endangering the surface. For the sake of the Ewoks, rebel capital ships dedicated ther weapons systems and tractor beams to moving Death Star fragments safely away from the planet while taking the time to recover the practical treasure trove of salvage from what was left of what the Imperials left behind.  

Though the Rebellion was not entirely uninitiative with the death of Palpatine. While the Endor fleet handled the aftermath news was quickly spread throughout Alliance intelligence networks who wasted no time leaking the information to the public. Through news broadcasts, holomessages and word of mouth the death of the Emperor was announced to the galaxy. Civilians, military and outsides across  the stars heard word that the Empire's creator had fallen in battle.

A new wave of uprisings occurred practically overnight as crowds cheered, celebrated and revolted publicaly against Imprial rule while on Imperial loyalist worlds the streets were filled with mourning loyalists whether genuine or faking with furious and grief filled Imperial soldiers swearing oaths of revenge.

But despite the elation, fear and rage there were already those responding immediately to the news on both sides. The Emperor was dead but the next phase of the war had begun.

TalesofNine
Admin

https://endless-frontier.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum